We know how much dogs love peanut butter. Whether you mix it with homemade treats or let your pets lick it straight from the spoon, they absolutely adore the taste. But is it safe for dogs? There have been previous reports wherein this dog-favorite food can become potentially dangerous and as an owner, you should know what you’re feeding to your pet.
What ingredient in peanut butter is dangerous?
Not all ingredients in various brands of peanut butter are the same. The component to watch out for is xylitol, which is usually used as a replacement for sugar. While this is an all-natural sweetener that is safe for humans, especially for those with diabetes, the same cannot be said for our dogs.
Buying two brands of peanut butter each for you and your pet is a better option than risking the chances of your dog ingesting xylitol. Even just a gram of xylitol can become extremely harmful for dogs, and can lead to liver failure, hypoglycemia or possibly even death.
Avoid these peanut butter brands that contain xylitol: Krush Nutrition, Nuts ‘N More, P28, and Go Nuts, Co. Make it a practice to check the ingredients first before making a purchase. As long as your chosen peanut butter is free from xylitol, you can feed it to your pet without worrying about any harmful effects.
How much peanut butter is safe for dogs?
Feeding xylitol-free peanut butter to your dog doesn’t mean that they can eat it in large amounts. Even the safest dog treats can be dangerous for your dog if you do not feed them in moderation. Aside from obesity, your dogs can experience pancreatitis if they eat too much peanut butter.
Generally, smaller dogs only need approximately ½ tablespoon of peanut butter every day, while larger dogs are allowed to eat approximately 1 tablespoon every day. Stick to this rule and you can prevent your dog from gaining too much weight. You can also ask the opinion of your veterinarian in case your dog already has an existing condition such as pancreatitis and diabetes.
Creamy or Crunchy? How about with Jelly?
If you are choosing between creamy or crunchy peanut butter for your dog, let them have both! Small bits of peanuts are not considered choking hazards even to small dogs, so you can breathe easy knowing that your dog can enjoy a different texture of their favorite treat.
Peanut butter and jelly are definitely a match made in heaven, but try to keep it away from your pets if you can. Jams often contain a high amount of sugar and some fruits, such as grapes, are very toxic for your dog. Obesity and grape poisoning are two conditions you wouldn’t want your pet to have.