loader image
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” — Roger Caras

Can Dogs Eat Raisins? The Dos and Don’ts of Doggy Diets

For humans, raisins are packed with essential nutrients and greatly improves digestion. They can be eaten as is or mixed with other ingredients for dessert or a meal. With all the benefits these tasty treats have for us, is it safe to assume that raisins are also good for dogs?

What is the poisonous dose

Are raisins poisonous to dogs?

Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. The poisonous components in grapes and raisins haven’t been identified yet, and the type of grape or raisin doesn’t really matter. In 2016 alone, 3,722 calls and inquiries regarding grape and raisin poisoning have been made based on a report by ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

It’s difficult to estimate how many raisins are okay for dogs. While some dogs may not have any reactions when they eat a handful of raisins, some dogs have been hospitalized after eating only a single piece.

There is no clear way on how to identify what dosage is considered lethal, but even just a small amount can lead to a fatal kidney failure and even result in death. At this point, the risks of feeding raisins to your dog outweighs the benefits, so it’s best to avoid giving raisins to your dog at all times.

Symptoms of raisin toxicity

If you suspect that your dog has accidentally eaten raisins without you knowing, watch out for immediate symptoms and don’t hesitate to go to a veterinarian for help.

One of the first symptoms is vomiting and can be observed within 24 hours of consumption. As soon as your dog starts to throw up, he might start refusing to eat or drink, and his condition might soon develop into diarrhea in the next 12 or more hours. If left untreated, this may result in severe kidney failure. At this point, medical help is urgently needed.

Immediate treatment

Once your pet is brought to a veterinarian, their priority is to prevent the toxins from being further absorbed by your pet’s system and lessen its effect on the kidneys.

The common practice is to induce vomiting so the ingested raisins can be removed from the body, but this can only be done only if an hour or less has passed after consumption and if your dog is still conscious. Otherwise, vets can administer activated charcoal to stop the absorption of the toxin to your pet’s stomach and most especially, the kidneys.

Afterward, intravenous fluids will be necessary to return their kidney function back to normal. Additional medications might also be given to stop your pet from vomiting even further.

Prevention

As a responsible owner, you should keep these in mind to avoid raisin poisoning:

1) Keeps raisins and grapes away from your dog’s reach, and store them where your pet cannot reach them immediately.

2) Make sure that everyone in the house knows which foods pose a great risk for your dog. There is no use in doing preventive measures if your family members are not aware of how to prevent raisin poisoning.

3) If you find out your pet has consumed raisins, go to a vet immediately. Do not try to solve the problem yourself, since this may cause more harm than good.

How long after eating raisins will a dog get sick?

This depends on the size of your dog and the number of raisins he's eaten, but generally, the symptoms of poisoning will appear within 12 to 24 hours.

Will 1 grape kill a dog?

Depending on the size of your dog, one or two grapes can be fatal.

What fruits are bad for dogs?

Grapes, raisins and rhubarb are all toxic and can prove fatal to our dogs. Avocados should be avoided, and the seeds and stones from apples, cherries, plums and peaches contain cyanide which can be deadly.

Get even more info on what to do if your dog has eaten raisins: