Your dog’s house is his comfort zone and his territory especially when he is feeling tired or sick.
It is important to always look out for his safety and comfort inside his dog house. The design, built, and feel should be customized to your dog’s specific needs. If you have plenty of time to spare or you love doing DIY projects, you should try making your beloved dog his own customized kennel.
Creating your Do-it-Yourself Kennel
1. Select the location The first step to creating your DIY Kennel is selecting a location where you would build your kennel. This would greatly affect the overall design and structure depending on where you plan to build your dog’s kennel. The location can also affect the materials that will be needed to build the kennel. It is very important to consider the essentials like the distance from a water supply, shade from the sun, distance from your house.
2. Foundation Once you figure out the location where you will build your dog’s kennel that will help determine what kind of foundation you will use. A dog will need a dry area that is well insulated but will also have enough ventilation on hot days. You must also consider if it frequently rains in your area because you will need to put a water-resistant material that is high enough to prevent water from coming in.
This will ensure you have a clean and durable flooring for your dog’s house. It is made from a high-density resin that will give your dog a comfortable home and is available in a range of sizes. Some of its features are easy drainage, great air circulation, and non-skid flooring. Putting a good elevated flooring in your dog’s house will keep your dog from accumulating dirt and mud inside the house. Securing your dog’s flooring will contribute to his overall health welfare. The Kennel Deck Revival Flooring System can provide all of that and give your dog a comfortable place to stay in.
3. Frame This will depend on the design and size you are going for. A frame is needed to ensure the safety and durability of the walls. You will need to make plans for this.
4. Walls Use wood if you need extra insulation and it is also easier to set up. Make sure that you dedicate a small opening for your dog’s door. Attach the wood for the walls to the frame using a drill and screws.
5. Roof Give enough room above your dog’s head to ensure it is not crammed in there. Make a triangular roof for better ventilation and to prevent snow and rain from collecting in the roof.
6. Décor Enhance your finished dog house by using non-toxic and non-smelling paint. Also buy some furnishings like carpet, bed, pillow, and blanket. Put in your dog’s favorite toy inside too. You can also add some accessories like a nameplate or lights outside the dog house.
What is the best flooring for an outdoor dog kennel?
Wooden decking can make a good flooring for an outdoor dog kennel, while rubber matting or carpet make the kennel comfortable
How big of an outdoor dog kennel do I need?
The outdoor kennel's run should be as big as possible, while the sleeping area needs to be small and neat. This prevents the dog getting too cold at night.
What do you do with an old dog kennel?
An old dog kennels can be dismantled, and burned, or if you know someone who's after a project and want to refurbish the kennel.
Here’s a great video on making the perfect home for your pet: